Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Solution to Error: Backup and Restore won't launch at all

Backup and Restore won't launch at all

I upgraded a machine to Win 7 and tried to set up a backup, but get no response when I click on Backup & Restore.  This happens whether I select it from the Maintenance folder on the All Programs menu or from the Control Panel.  There is a message telling
me that I haven't created a backup, but when I click on "set up backup" on that screen, it acts like it's starting up a process, but never comes back to me.  I tried to do it in safe mode, but the same thing happens.  I did sfc /scannow, but it found nothing
wrong.  I restarted the Service that seemed to control it, but that had no impact.  I'm up to date with SP 1 for Win 7 and have all important updates installed.  I've run out of ideas to get this repaired.

Solutions to the Problem Backup and Restore won't launch at all

Download SmartPCFixer for Free Now

I found my own answer for  this and want to share it.  The computer had a 2011 Acronis True Image on it and I had decided it was no longer needed (since Win 7 Backup and Restore is now an acceptable alternative).  So I had uninstalled the Acronis software
- and then started getting no response when I selected "Backup and Resore" on Win 7.  It turns out that there was a now-fixed bug in the 2011 Acronis software that didn't reset the registry properly when it was uninstalled.  It removed the Acronis from the
registry but didn't reset the registry to point to Backup and Restore.  So when I tried to do the Backup and Restore, there was nothing in the registry to make it execute. 
I found a fix on the Acronis support site that fixed my problem completely - Look for 14741: Acronis True Image Home 2011: DIsabling "Integrate True Image into Windows" Does Not Work".
Thanks for trying to help me!  I spent hours trying to find this and was relieved to find the solution on the Acronis website.

Run CHKDSK

  • Go to the Start button.
  • In the Search box, type "cmd" (without quotes) and press Enter.
  • At the command prompt, type "chkdsk /r /f" (without quotes) and press Enter.
  • Reboot your computer.
An error might pop up:

"Access denied as you do not have significant privileges. You have to invoke this utility in elevated mode."

If you receive the above error message, it means you are not logged into you computer as an Administrator. If that's the case, follow these steps to run the command prompt in elevated mode:

  • Go to theStart button.
  • Go to "All Programs > Accessories" and right click on "Command Prompt".
  • Select "Run as Administrator".
  • In the Search box, type "cmd" (without quotes) and press Enter.
  • At the command prompt, type "chkdsk /r /f" (without quotes) and press Enter.
  • Reboot your computer.

Recommended Method to Fix the Problem: Backup and Restore won't launch at all:

How to Fix Backup and Restore won't launch at all with SmartPCFixer?

1. Click the button to download SmartPCFixer . Install it on your computer.  Open it, and it will perform a scan for your system. The errors will be shown in the scan result.

2. After the scan is finished, you can see the errors and problems need to be repaired. Click Fix All.

3. When the Fixing part is done, your computer has been speeded up and the errors have been removed


Related: AMD Radeon HD 7800M Win8 not working [Anwsered],I can access the internet, get on facebook and get to hotmail, but I can't play games on facebook and I can't open or respond to my e-mails,I keep getting this Media Player error when I log on my computer. [Anwsered],[Anwsered] System Hanging on shutdown and restart,Unable to get the Vlookup property of the WorksheetFunction class,Solution to Error: Error: "0x81000032 make sure the C: drive is online and set to NTFS" when trying to backup to external hard drive.
,Troubleshoot:External Hard Drive not listed in Windows 7 backup wizard Error
,I'm always being signed off so annoying Tech Support
,Solution to Problem: Impossible to use Internet Explorer! I keep getting the same error message every time i try to use IE.
,Solution to Problem: Referencing data in another file
,Troubleshoot:Error: "0x81000032 make sure the C: drive is online and set to NTFS" when trying to backup to external hard drive. Error,External Hard Drive not listed in Windows 7 backup wizard Tech Support,Tech Support: I'm always being signed off so annoying,Solution to Problem: Impossible to use Internet Explorer! I keep getting the same error message every time i try to use IE.,Referencing data in Access using Excel [Anwsered],Need Best Way To Present Data [Anwsered],Same question but for windows 7 home edition,sometimes fullscreen won't activate [Solved],Solution to Error: We bought a new computer with windows 7 and it is constantly freezing. How do we fix this?,Solution to Error: Windows 8 update crash (2013-07-22),application not found error,any problems in a team where one has Windows XP and the other has Windows 7?,Application/Object-Defined Error,An Excel formula question where hours are totalled and cumulating,Anyone know the hardware email?

No comments:

Post a Comment