Applications will not open
I have just recently had this too and am trying to figure out the solution.
I click a program icon and it takes me to the Select Program to Open File box.
What opens an .exe file??? I tried Joel's suggestion above with no success.
I did notice my
search results had four rundll32.exe files and a couple rundll32.exe-3C8BA8CF.pf files in the windows/Prefetch directory.
Is that anything? Any other suggestions?
Not all rundll32 errors are related to corrupt or missing files.
Many times spyware will use this file to launch it's own code.
I have also known situations where copying and pasting the file did not work and the Windows cd had to be used to extract the file
and place it in the proper directory.
The files you noticed in the prefetch directory are, in and of themselves, harmless, but may have been placed there by spyware for faster execution.
I am going to ask you to create a new topic so that I can instruct you
on how to create a Highjack This log file.
Please post a link here to the new topic so that I may follow you there.
Anwsers to the Problem Applications will not open
Okay, I do not know why I did not think of this before.
Open control panel > folder options > file types > new (button) in the new window click advanced.
In the file extension dialog box type exe.
In the drop down menu locate and select application > click
The link below is to an image for reference.
Sometimes deciding which battle to fight is the toughest battle of all…..
Please visit my website @ http://repairbotsonline.weebly.com/
Note: It is recommended that you back up your files and folders before attempting this step:
- Move the mouse cursor over to the upper right side of the screen.
- A menu will pop up on the left. Click on the "Settings" feature on the menu.
- On the Settings window, click on the "Change PC settings."
- Now, left click on the "Update and recovery" feature.
- For the next step, left click on the "Recovery" feature.
- There is an option here saying "Refresh your PC without affecting your files." There, left click on the "Get started" button.
- Now, follow the instructions on the screen to finish the Refresh process.
- After the Refresh process has finished restart your Windows 8.1 or Windows 8 device.
- Check again to see if the error Applications will not open has been fixed.
If you do not possess the technical expertise required to accomplish this yourself or do not feel comfortable doing so, download and install a powerful automated tool to get the job done.
Recommended Method to Fix the Problem: Applications will not open:
How to Fix Applications will not open with SmartPCFixer?
1. Click the button to download Error Fixer . Install it on your system. Open it, and it will perform a scan for your system. The errors will be shown in the scan result.
2. After the scan is done, you can see the errors and problems which need to be fixed.
3. The Fixing part is done, the speed of your computer will be much higher than before and the errors have been fixed.
Related: error message fsui.exe/ wlidcli.dll is missing
,Solution to Error: Excel: Automatic number generation
,Troubleshoot:i wanna change language of all windows in Windows 7 Home Premium
,Troubleshooting:IF Function, if the vendor ID in column A matches any of the vendor ID's in column F, I want 1099 to appear in column D. Error
,Fast Solution to Problem: ReadyBoost is not working properly in my computer
,Troubleshoot:Error: "0x81000032 make sure the C: drive is online and set to NTFS" when trying to backup to external hard drive. Error,External Hard Drive not listed in Windows 7 backup wizard Tech Support,Tech Support: I'm always being signed off so annoying,Solution to Problem: Impossible to use Internet Explorer! I keep getting the same error message every time i try to use IE.,Referencing data in Access using Excel [Anwsered],Need Best Way To Present Data [Anwsered],Same question but for windows 7 home edition,sometimes fullscreen won't activate [Solved],Solution to Error: We bought a new computer with windows 7 and it is constantly freezing. How do we fix this?,Solution to Error: Windows 8 update crash (2013-07-22),brclr.dll.mu_ Missing Error Fixer,How To Resolve Missing fin_myagtui.eng Problem,Corrupted f_0006ad File - How to Fix,nkebigvg.cpl Not Found Error Fixer,Corrupted olcontrols.ocx File - How to Fix
Read More: How to Resolve - All the Chromium-based are not working...?,Always facing an error when I try to restore a system image. Code: (0x80780118) [Solved],Fast Solution to Error: APPCRASH Explorer.EXE stackhash_905b,An automatic upgrade, was in process, but the installation did not complete. After that happened, IE is not working right [Solved],Fast Solution to Error: An item with Chinese writing has been installedon my computer, hoe do I remove it?,After Windows Update CD/DVD drive does not work,After installing windows 7 to laptop the labels print out of line how can I fix it,After my computer sleeps the wireless always disconnects and will no reconnect,After signing into Pogo.com, I get a message" This tab has been recovered"....what does this mean and how do I fix it.....,All desktop icons changed to windows live and does not open